- Built in 1929
- 159 Apartments
- 9 Floors
This 9-story building was erected in 1929 as the armory for the 77th
"Statue of Liberty" Division of the United States Army Reserve.
In the early 1980s, the top eight floors were converted to 159 cooperative apartments and in the 1990s the ground floor and basement were used by the Actors Studio Free Theater and dance rehearsal studios. In 2000, the All Stars Project Inc., a 19-year-old non-profit theatrical production company bought the lower two floors for performance and rehearsal space and two 99-seat theaters and a 250-seat Off-Broadway theater.
The apartment building has a doorman, common outdoor space and is pet-friendly. It permits protruding air-conditioners and there is excellent cross-town bus service.
This section of Clinton and Midtown West has undergone significant transformation with many new apartment towers sprouting in the early years of the millennium. Before the onset of the financial crisis in 2008, the city had very ambitious plans to extend the 7 subway line to this area and then south to the Javits Convention Center and the planned redeveloped of the MTA rail yards. The city envisioned thousands of new apartments and millions of square feet of new commercial space for this area but the financial crisis put most of those plans on hold.
This area is convenient to Times Square and the Theater District and the Garment Center and many restaurants.